Monday, April 20, 2009

Konglish Lesson #7

Konglish of the day: fighting! (pronounced "hwa-ee-teeng" or "pa-ee-teeng"... there is no "F" sound in the Korean language)

"Fighting" is the word used to express excited encouragement as in "Go [Insert name of team/person/group], go!"  I say it often but I try not to think about how silly I used to think it sounds when I first found out "hwa-ee-teeng" is supposed to be "fighting".  I think it might have come from the expression "fighting spirit"... but I'm not sure how "fighting" became so mainstream in the language.

"Good luck on your exam!  Fighting!"

"One more goal, guys!  We can beat them!  Gather around once more!  One, two, three, fighting!"

"I know you're having a shitty day, but cheer up!  Aja aja fighting!"

3 comments:

  1. Krob - does this mean you've also been watching "Kot po da namjah"?! I've been trying to get Jimmy to watch it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hehe are you referring to "aja aja"? I think that started with the drama "Full House".. but yeah I had to admit.. I saw some of "Kot po da namjah".

    ReplyDelete
  3. lol. Jess, I'll tell Jimmy to watch it too! I've seen the first few episodes and I like it. I really like the main girl and F4...what a bunch of losers!

    ReplyDelete