Thursday, March 26, 2009

Baseball

The World Baseball Classic just ended yesterday with Korea losing to Japan in the finals.  It was quite interesting while it lasted.

Korea only has 8 teams in their KBO (Korea Baseball Organization) league and I found it funny how they make a big deal out of 8 teams battling it out for the championship at the end of the season.  After seeing World Cup 2002, I thought soccer was the #1 sport in Korea but I was surprised to find out that baseball is #1 here.

Culture shock: Koreans got good at baseball.

I thought 'Is this a joke?' when I saw Korea take the gold during last year's Olympics.  But Korea took 3rd place in the first WBC and they came in #2 in the second WBC.  Who woulda thunk it?  Seems so random that this small country can do so well in international competitions... Korean baseball players make 14 times less salaries than Japanese players, but these two national teams were neck-and-neck.

I don't know when they got so good at it, but I'm fairly certain baseball may now gain even more popularity here.  Finally... something Koreans are good at besides archery, skating and badminton...


Did she not expect to strike out holding a bat like a girl?

No comments:

Post a Comment