Friday, March 20, 2009

Kicking off the blog with...

I had dog last week.

Almost a stereotype, Koreans back in Canada are often accused of eating dogs.  I don't know why we get the stereotype... Chinese people eat dogs too.  Even if a smaller percentage of Chinese people eat dogs, Chinese people probably devour a lot more dogs in total than Koreans.

I've never eaten any kind of a canine breed in the past.  I don't think I get disturbed by the thought of eating dog meat, but then I've never owned a dog.  I like dogs, but I always wanted to try the meat... to see what it tasted like.

I went to a place near work with my co-workers.  It was a big place, but it was completely empty at peak dinner time.  Apparently, dogs were not in season... (huh?)  We ordered two different types of main dog meat dishes.. one braised served on top of greens and another was a stew.  The lady brought in a big chunk of purplish meat... It was the neck which people claimed to be the best part.  Stomach meat is apparently the next best.  The cheapest sections of a dog are its legs... they use that shit for stews.  

At first, the meat triggered a little bit of a gag reflex when I put it in my mouth, but that tends to happen when I put strange oily meat into my mouth... After I got used to the smell, it was actually not too bad...both the taste and the texture...but doesn't taste as good as traditional meats.  And it doesn't taste like chicken.  The meal was kinda expensive, so I'd rather spend that money on good old-fashioned beef.


Don't look at me like that... I didn't know it was your daddy...

2 comments:

  1. correction: Chinese people eat dogs AND cats.
    Brave, i don't think i can ever do it.
    I say, with all the food we have available, why bother with the non-necessary stuff? My husband tried worms baked in eggs...I just stared at this white guy in awe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Many 'westerners' criticize or think it is wrong for 'easterners' to eat dog because they see dogs as a cute pet. I have not eaten dog myself, but I do not see how eating dog is any different from eating any other kind of animal. Just because cows are less cute, it does not make it more okay to eat beef than dogs. Westerners mainly see eating dog is wrong because they are cute, but places like India, people who practice Hinduism view cows as sacred. People who practice Hinduism must feel 10x as worst when they hear how much cows are killed to make McDonald's burgers.

    ReplyDelete