Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Delivery

Culture shock: You can get anything delivered anywhere in Korea in a blink of an eye.

I love it!  It's so convenient!  I live by myself in Seoul, so I often get home from work to face the dilemma of how I should feed myself.  I'm far too lazy to cook anything nor keep any perishables in my fridge, so I end up ordering food most nights if I haven't eaten outside.

I choose food from about 30~40 different menus, ranging from sushi to sandwichs to pork bone stews.  It's like my personal room service... I just pick up my phone, call the number on the menu and I get it delivered within half an hour.  After I finish eating, I just pack up the dishes, put them outside my place and they come pick them up.  There a lot of 24-hour places that deliver as well...

Lately, I've been addicted to McDelivery... Sure, my zero regard for health will put me in a (big ass) coffin sooner than later, but I just LOVE eating Big Macs when I'm jonesing for them at 3AM in the morning.

There are also delivery services where somebody on a scooter delivers anything from point A to point B; they call this "quick service" (another Konglish word).  Also, there are personal errand services where you can request some dude to do shit for you like pick up dry cleaning, pay parking ticket fines, get you takeout from non-delivery restaurants or do grocery shopping.  In addition, most of your online purchases arrive on your doorsteps within 1 or 2 days.  I've been desensitized to delivery durations because of the usual "4 to 6 weeks" advertised when I was in Canada.

Even though I feel like an old fart ordering all these meals on wheels from the comforts of my couch, I don't know how I can ever live without all these deliveries.  


I gotta deliver these kids quickly in 40 minutes or they're free...

No comments:

Post a Comment