Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Konglish Lesson #1

I'm gonna start a series of posts on Konglish, which is English mutated and used regularly by Koreans.  Please don't laugh when you hear me saying any of these.

Konglish of the day:  Skinship

Take "-ship" from, say, friendship... or companionship, and append it to "skin", and you get the common Konglish word: skinship.  It means "physical display of affection" or "bodily touch".  I must admit, it is kinda creative how they incorporated "skin" into this new word.  Almost makes sense...almost.

Koreans were using this "word" so naturally that I thought it was an actual English word I never heard of... until somebody told me what it meant.

"I feel uncomfortable being around him because he likes skinship too much."

"I attempted my first skinship with my gf yesterday and she replied back with a smack upside the head."

"Is ass-grabbing too much skinship at the workplace?"


2 comments:

  1. My personal favourite is "whiting" followed by two quick fist pumps in the air. I often do this in the shower, when I successfully prevent the soap from slipping out of my hands.

    "Aja aja, whiting".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent! It's actually "fighting"..

    ReplyDelete